Sweet potatoes are a vast partial of many a holiday meal. But Here Now proprietor prepare Kathy Gunst says that we can do so most some-more with them.
She brings Here Now‘s Robin Young and Jeremy Hobson honeyed potato chips, a puree and a chocolate cake done with a recipe from her crony and cookbook author Raghavan Iyer.
If you’re looking for something a tiny some-more savory, Kathy also says that we can surrogate honeyed potatoes for a winter squish in a recipes from her Sep 2014 visit.
- See some-more recipes and cooking segments with Kathy Gunst
- Here’s the link from a shred about storing fruits and vegetables
Kathy’s Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Puree With Maple, Ginger, Nutmeg And Apple Cider
Around a holidays there is so most cream and butter that seem in recipes. But this simple, candid puree — seasoned with apple cider, uninformed ginger and spices — feels uninformed and light.
You can offer it as is, or place in shallow, ovenproof gratin plate or skillet. If we use a plate or skillet, tip a puree with 1/4 crater unsweetened coconut flakes or chips and 1/4 crater panko breadcrumbs, afterwards feverishness during 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until prohibited and bubbling. Serves 6.
- 4 vast honeyed potatoes, about 32 ounces, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped uninformed ginger
- 1/4 crater maple syrup
- 1/4 crater apple cider
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon belligerent nutmeg
- Salt and creatively belligerent black pepper
- Place a potatoes in a core vast pot. Cover with cold H2O and move to a boil over high heat. Reduce a heat, cover somewhat and prepare about 10 to 12 minutes, or until proposal when tested with a tiny pointy knife. Drain a potatoes thoroughly. Return to a pot and mash. Set aside.
- Melt a butter and olive oil in core pot. Add a ginger and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add a indifferent crushed potatoes, a maple syrup, cider, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir and prepare for about 4 to 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
Sweet Potato Chips
This time of year — with an contentment of rich, holiday dishes — we hunt for healthy snacks. These baked honeyed potato chips are a answer.
Colorful, honeyed and baked with usually a hold of oil, they make a good snack, dipping chip, commanding for casseroles or soups, further to salads and more.
Serve with a immature tahini drop (recipe below), or your favorite dip. You can also serve with cocktails. This recipe works good with one honeyed potato or 10.
- Peel honeyed potatoes and cut really thinly. It’s critical that all a slices be of equal density so a cooking time doesn’t vary.
- Place a potato slices on a cookie or baking piece and really simply brush with olive oil, and shower with sea salt and creatively belligerent black pepper.
- Preheat a oven to 425 degrees. Bake on core shelf for 10 minutes. Remove. Gently spin a potato slices over, brush on some-more olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake another 8 to 12 minutes, or until frail and baked by and usually commencement to brownish-red on a edges. Remove and let cold to room feverishness before serving. You can also shower a chips on one side with any form of spice: a hold of belligerent cumin, mint, thyme or rosemary.
Green Herb Tahini Dip For Sweet Potato Chips
Tahini, or sesame paste, creates a tasty bottom for a dip. Here it’s seasoned with uninformed parsley, cilantro and uninformed mint. Serve with honeyed potato chips (recipe above). Serves 4 to 6.
- 3/4 tahini paste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons uninformed cilantro
- 1/2 crater uninformed parsley
- 2 tablespoons uninformed mint, or 2 teaspoons dried
- Juice of 1 vast lemon
- About 1/2 crater cold water
- Salt and creatively belligerent pepper
- Place all a reduction in a food processor or blender. Whirl until smooth.
- Season to ambience and supplement some-more H2O — about 1 to 2 tablespoons if it’s too thick.
- Keep cold and cover for adult to 4 or 5 days. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Chocolate Sweet Potato Pound Cake
By Raghavan Iyer
Lovely, moist, and chocolaty, a honeyed potato and spices spirit of tumble and make this a certain crowd-pleaser that’s ideal for potlucks or buffets. This is an instrumentation of Mary Evans’s recipe from her book “Vegetable Creations.” She is a rarely learned teacher, a cooking propagandize user (she gave me my initial possibility during training 25 years back), a means author of mixed books, and a good baker as well. This recipe is a commemorative to her acumen.
The flavors emerge best when a cake is done a day before we devise on portion it. Serves 12.
- 8 ounces low orange honeyed potatoes (such as Jewel)
- Baking spray, for greasing a pan
- 2 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 crater unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon creatively grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely burst black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon belligerent cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon belligerent cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon counterfeit sea or kosher salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, during room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pristine vanilla extract
- 4 vast eggs, during room temperature
- Peel a honeyed potatoes and give them a good rinse underneath cold using water. Cut them into tiny chunks. Place them in a tiny saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Partially cover a pan, reduce a feverishness to medium-low, and kindly boil a potatoes until a pieces tumble detached simply when pierced with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- As a potatoes cook, position a shelve in a core of a oven and preheat a oven to 325°F. Spray a inside of a 12-cup Bundt vessel or tube vessel with baking spray.
- Sift together a flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, and salt into a medium-size bowl. Stir with a drive to mix thoroughly, about 30 seconds.
- Once a honeyed potatoes have finished cooking, empty them in a colander. Give a colander a good shake or dual to get absolved of additional water. Return a potatoes to a vessel and crush them with a potato masher until smooth.
- Place a butter in a play of a mount mixer and insert a whisk. On core speed, kick a butter until it is really creamy, about 3 minutes. (If we don’t have a mount mixer, a handheld mixer will do a pretence as well.) Sprinkle in a sugarine and continue to kick on core speed until really feathery and pale, about 3 minutes. Beat in a vanilla until usually blended. Add 1 egg and kick on low speed, usually until combined, about 15 seconds. Add a remaining eggs, one during a time, violence on low speed usually until combined, about 15 seconds per egg, scraping down a play after any addition. Still on low speed, supplement half of a flour mixture; kick usually until usually blended, 30 to 45 seconds, scraping a play median through.
- Add a honeyed potatoes to a kick and kick again on low speed until usually combined, about 15 seconds. Scrape a bottom and sides of a bowl. Add a remaining flour reduction and kick on low speed until usually total and smooth, scraping a play median through, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Spoon and scratch a kick into a prepared pan; well-spoken a tip with a spatula and daub a vessel on a opposite to settle a batter.
- Bake until a tip is organisation to a hold and a skewer or blade extrinsic in a cake comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. The tip of a cake will be dull and burst in a center, though that’s okay.
- Transfer a vessel to a handle shelve and let a cake cold in a vessel for about 10 minutes. Invert a vessel and spin out a cake onto a shelve to cold completely, 2 to 3 hours.
- Wrap a cake firmly in cosmetic hang until you’re prepared to serve.
Recipe from a book SMASHED, MASHED, BOILED, AND BAKED–AND FRIED TOO! by Raghavan Iyer. Copyright © 2016 by Raghavan Iyer. Republished with accede of Workman Publishing.
Kathy Gunst, proprietor prepare for Here Now and author of a book “Soup Swap.” She is also a author of “Notes from a Maine Kitchen” and a video array “Simple Soups from Scratch.” She tweets @mainecook and is on Instagram @kathygunst. There’s some-more information about book signings, classes and lectures during her Facebook page.