Well, folks, here we are. We done it to a finish of 2016, and we’re still standing. It’s been one heck of a year — from advances in self-driving vehicles to a arise of digital assistants. Oh yeah, there was also a small presidential choosing that consumed a nation.
To hang things adult for a year, it’s time for a annual news quiz. Test your believe in a ask next and see how we score.
In an epoch of feign news, we guarantee not to offer any feign questions here. Just significant info about what transpired in tech in 2016.
In sequence to magnitude your smarts, here’s a scorecard on that to decider yourself.
- Uber Geek: 21 — 25 scold answers (Always looking for Jedi masters to join a GeekWire team!)
- Super Geek: 16 — 20 scold answers (The force is clever with this one!)
- Average Geek: 11 — 15 scold answers (Stay a course, and we will one day be a Jedi master)
- Geek in Training: 6 —10 scold answers (Keep study young, Padawan!)
- Novice Nerd: 0 — 5 scold answers (Get informed. Sign adult for a GeekWire daily newsletter here!)
Answers are during a bottom of this post. No cheating!
1) What famous Internet colonize Tweeted on Apr 2: “Flawless BE-3 restart and ideal upholder landing. CC chutes deployed.”
2) Microsoft concluded to compensate $26.2 billion for that amicable network in 2016?
3) Facebook non-stop a new bureau in Seattle in May of 2016. Who was a world-renowned designer that designed a bureau space?
4) What is a name of a new preference store judgment that Amazon started contrast in Seattle, one that allows business to squeeze equipment and bypass a checkout line?
5) Just days before John Glenn upheld divided on Dec. 8th, a famous wanderer and former Ohio senator penned a minute to that tech billionaire?
6) What was a name of a device that Samsung dropped after reports of a device floating up?
7) What do these 3 Seattle area tech companies share in common: PhaseRx, Impinj and Apptio?
8) What Las Vegas hotel announced skeleton to implement Amazon Echo inclination in a hotel rooms, handling as a digital “butler” for guests?
9) President Barack Obama pronounced this about that recipients of a Presidential Medal of Freedom: “Few in tellurian story have been some-more successful than these dual desirous optimists.”
10) Squirtle and Spearow are renouned characters in what strike protracted existence game?
11) “Listen to your employees, listen to your customers, close a f*** up, and do what they tell you.” That blunt care recommendation was supposing by a outspoken CEO of what tech company?
12) Turi, a appurtenance training startup founded by University of Washington mechanism scholarship highbrow Carlos Guestrin, was sole for about $200 million to what tech giant?
13) Which Super Bowl-winning manager announced in Oct that he’s “done” regulating Microsoft Surface tablets on a sidelines?
14) Once a dot-com darling, which pioneering online health store was close down by Walgreens in Jul 2016?
15) High-flying and high-energy former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer achieved what attempt during an L.A. Clippers game, partial of a graduation tied to a launch of a team’s new mascot?
16) Seattle try entrepreneur Tom Alberg promoted a devise to bond a cities of Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. along Interstate-5 with what novel travel technology?
17) Amazon Studios expelled a new comedy array “Crisis in Six Scenes,” that was destined by that Hollywood legend?
18) Snap Inc., before famous as Snapchat, ventured into hardware and denounced what wearable product in 2016?
19) Amazon denounced a new aircraft during a Seafair jubilee in Seattle in August: What distinguished branding is emblazoned on a Boeing 767-300?
20) Convenience store sequence 7-Eleven done story in Jul when it delivered what iconic product to a customer’s home around a FAA-approved drone?
21) Embattled Yahoo finally found a customer in 2016. What association concluded to buy the 21-year-old Internet pioneer?
22) The recover of Apple’s iPhone 7 was important given it lacked what member that had prolonged been a partial of prior iPhones?
23) What’s a name of a new BMW-backed car-sharing use that launched in Seattle?
24) Which of these companies was not acquired in 2016: PitchBook, Blue Nile, Tableau Software or Julep?
25) Microsoft announced in Sep that it was combining a 5,000 chairman engineering and investigate group to concentration on new products in what prohibited area of technology?
OK, so how did we do? Before checking out a answers below, watch GeekWire co-founder Todd Bishop face off opposite GeekWire contributor Taylor Soper in a news quiz. Who do we consider will win?
Spoiler alert: Answers are next this photo!
1). A: Jeff Bezos, following a launch of a Blue Origin New Shepard rocket ship (Click on links for full story)
2). A: LinkedIn
3). A: Frank Gehry
4). A: Amazon Go
6). A: Galaxy Note 7
7). A: They all went open in 2016
8). A: Wynn Las Vegas
9). A: Bill Melinda Gates (Obama even burst a zinger about Bill Gates’ skip of dating skills when courtship Melinda).
10). A: Pokemon Go
11). A: T-Mobile CEO John Legere (Surprise, warn that it was a potty-mouthed CEO of a Bellevue wireless giant).
12). A: Apple
13). A: New England Patriots manager Bill Belichick (#GoHawks!)
14). A: Drugstore.com
15). A: A trampoline-assisted impact dunk (Don’t skip a video, that is classical Ballmer!)
17). A: Woody Allen
19). A: Prime Air
20). A: A Slurpee (it also delivered a duck sandwich, donuts, prohibited coffee and candy. Take that Amazon!)
22). A: Headphone jack
23). A: ReachNow
24). A: Tableau Software
25: A: Artificial Intelligence