WASHINGTON (KMSP) – U.S. Rep Tom Emmer took a tip esteem in this year’s Minnesota Congressional Delegation Hotdish Competition with his “Hotdish of Champions”—a winning multiple of tater tots, cream of fungus soup, cheese and beef surfaced with cereal.
Sen. Tina Smith hosted a competition, stability an annual tradition started by her prototype Al Franken. This was a eighth year Minnesota lawmakers have put their hotdish skills to a test.
Emmer says his hotdish was desirous by a Minnesotans who brought home bullion during a 2018 Winter Olympics.
Here are a recipes from 1st to final place:
Rep. Tom Emmer’s Hotdish of Champions
- Tater kid crowns –30 oz
- Cream of fungus soup
- Vegetable oil –½ tbsp
- Eggs – 6
- Shredded cheddar cheese –2 cups
- Cooked crumbled bacon –¾ cup
- Cooked crumbled sausage –1 ½ cup
- Your choice of cereal, like General Mills Chex or Total (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a bottom of a 12-inch greased expel iron skillet with tater kid crowns and afterwards line a sides of a pan.
3. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. While baking, feverishness a oil in a vessel over middle heat. Whisk together a eggs and a shower of salt and pepper. Cook a eggs until only set (they will prepare some-more in a oven).
5. Remove a tater tots from a oven and use a spatula to press down on tip and sides of a hotdish to bruise a tater tots a bit. Pour a can of cream of fungus over a tots and 3/4 of a sausage.
6. Top with one crater of shredded cheddar cheese.
7. Add a scrambled eggs, sausage crumbles and another crater of shredded cheese, creation certain a cheese reaches a tater tots on a sides of a pans.8. Continue adding layers until elite thickness. Sprinkle with a crumbled bacon and bake for an additional 10 minutes.9. Garnish with cereal.
Rep. Rick Nolan’s Tater Tot Hotdish
- Minnesota weed fed beef belligerent by Rick – 1 ½lbs
- Minnesota’s Original Top a Tater drop and commanding (more famous than SPAM) – 1 tub
- Shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese from Morrison Co. Dairy farms – 8 oz.
- Frozen tater tots from Mary’s fridge – 1 bag
- Frozen churned vegetables BOGO during Cub – 1 bag
- French’s Crispy Fried Onions from Super America – 2 Cups
1.Mix all adult good and put it in a oven until it’s done.
1. Brown belligerent beef and drain
2. Mix in Top a Tater and stir well
3. Layer beef mixture
4. Layer churned vegetables
5. Layer shredded cheese
6. Top with tater tots
7. Sprinkle with boiled onions
8. Bake in oven during 350 degrees for 50 minutes
Rep. Keith Ellison’s Minnesota Miracle(whip) Hotdish
- Ground beef –1 lbs.
- Small yellow onion –1 minced
- Minced garlic –2 clovesButter –1 tbsp
- Cream of fungus soup –2 cans
- Whole Milk –½ cup
- Miracle Whip –2 tbsp.
- Frozen corn –1.5 cups
- Frozen tater tots –1 package (32 oz)
- Shredded cheddar cheese –1.5 cups
- Pepper –to taste
- Lay potato chips –to top
1. Sauté a onion and garlic with butter in a skillet over middle heat.
2. Add a belligerent beef and prepare until browned and onions are translucent.
3. Pour a baked beef and onions into a greased crockpot.
4. Next, supplement a soup, corn, milk, spectacle whip, tator tots, and peppers to crockpot. Stir.
5. Cover and prepare on low for 3-4 hours.
6. In a final half hour of cooking, brew in cheese.
7. Crush potato chips on tip and serve.
Rep. Erik Paulsen’s Northwoods Breakfast Hotdish
- Thawed hashbrowns
- Melted butter
- Seasoned salt
- Garlic powder
- Ground mustard
- Green and red peppers
- Garlic Sausage or Bacon
- Shredded cheese
- Eggs –1 dozen
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
2. Line greased vessel with thawed hashbrowns (dry hashbrowns with paper towel first)
3. Drizzle melted butter over hashbrowns
4. Sprinkle with deteriorate salt and garlic powder (or whatever spices we like)
5. Place vessel in oven until hashbrowns are frail and brown
6. Meanwhile clout adult elite veggies (mushrooms, onions, immature and red peppers, garlic, etc.)
7. Brown sausage or prepare bacon
8. Toss vegetables, beef and shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, peppers jack, or whatever desired)
9. Mix together a dozen eggs, with a bit of milk, salt, peppers and belligerent mustard
10. When hashbrowns are done, mislay from oven
11. Change oven temp to 350 degrees
12. Add reduction of veggies, beef and cheese to pan
13. Pour egg reduction over a top
14. Bake in oven about 60 mins or until egg has set
Sen. Tina Smith’s 10,000 Island Cheeseburger Surprise Hotdish
- 1 vast white onion
- 1 teaspoon unfeeling oil
- 5 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons honeyed plight relish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon strong white vinegar
- 1 can cream of onion soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ¾ crater water
- 1 egg
- 8 oz. American cheese (get a kind that is not away wrapped)
- 6 hamburger chip pickles
- 1.5 lb belligerent beef
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 6 potato hamburger buns
1. Chop adult whole, vast white onion.In middle skillet, caramelize¾ of chopped onion, withdrawal rest raw. To caramelize onions: feverishness oil over middle high, supplement onions and lurch of salt, revoke heat. Stir spasmodic until onions brownish-red and supplement H2O when they seem dry, do that a few times until onions are soothing and dark. Set aside.
2. Make special sauce. Combine mayo, ketchup, relish, sugar, and vinegar and stir.
3. Whisk egg in middle bowl, stir in cream of onion soup and 1/2 cupwater, set aside.
4. Chop pickles, set aside.
5. Chop adult American cheese into tiny brick stacks, set aside.
6. Gently squash belligerent beef, deteriorate one side with salt and pepper. Add to pan. Smear mustard on proposal side. Allow a cooking side to get dim and crusty, afterwards flip to a mustard side. Cook until entirely browned, stirring and exploding a meat. Drain fat and set aside.
7. Grease a 9x13pan with butter.
8. Rip adult hamburger buns to cover a bottom of dish.
9. Add browned beef on tip of buns.
10. Add afew tiny pats of butter (leftover from greasing a pan)to a covering of buns and meat.
11. Add onions, both caramelized and raw. Add chopped pickles. Add can of diced tomatoes, drained. Add dollops of special sauce—be certain todistribute uniformly throughout. Add ¾ of a cheese on top.
12. At this point, if we are creation this image forward of time, we can cold a lonesome image overnight.
13. When prepared to bake, kindly flow cream of onion soup reduction over top, distributing evenly, creation certain to get a edges and corners. You might have soup reduction left over. Add remaining cheese.
14. Bake on 350 for 20-ish minutes. Increase to 400 for about 7 minutes. Broil on high for 3 minutes.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s Gold Medal Curling Hotdish
- 1 and ½pounds of tip Sirloin steak
- 1 immature pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tiny yellow onion
- 1 garlic head
- 1 can of cream of fungus soup (or emanate your own, directions below)
- 1 can of corn
- 2 teaspoons of Soy Sauce (for marinade)
- 2 Cups of Whole Milk
- ¼ crater of immature cream
- 8 ounces of Cheddar Cheese (Shredded is recommended, though if regulating blocks cut into tiny squares for melting)
- 8 ounces of Colby-Monterey Jack (reserve a tiny volume for a top)
- Salt and Pepper
- Cut immature onions
- Bacon Bits
Cut a Top Sirloin cut into punch sized pieces and brine for 2 hours in 2 teaspoons of soy salsa and a lurch of salt.
After marinade, feverishness a frying vessel (I used a expel iron skillet though any frying vessel will do) to medium-high heat. Add in a cut steak, and brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Be certain to not over prepare a beef as it will continue to prepare after on. Set a beef aside on a plate, keep a beef juices.
Dice 1 immature bell peppers and 1 red bell pepper. Finely bones one tiny yellow onion. Dice 4 garlic cloves. Turn to middle feverishness and regulating a left over beef “juices”, supplement in a vegetables. Cook until a onions spin transparent, about 10 minutes.
Add in one can of cream of fungus soup and ¼ crater of water, or supplement in your possess cream of fungus soup here. Add salt to taste.
Combine beef with tawny unfeeling mixture. Pour in a divert slowly, and brew all over. Set to middle feverishness and concede it to thicken, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Then, supplement in immature cream, 1 can of corn, and Cheddar and Colby-Monterey Jack cheese (I used a blocks and cut them into tiny squares though shredded works equally good here).
Do a gravy ambience exam here (mine needs a tiny some-more salt and pepper) Add a reduction into your favorite prohibited image oven protected vessel and bake for 40 minutes. Do not cover. If we like a “soupy” hotdish, cut a time behind to about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, take solidified curly fries and widespread them out on a cookie sheet. You’ll wish to use a whole bag. *optional is to shower a fries with garlic salt, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Follow a heating directions on bag and safeguard a fries are golden and crisp.
Once a hotdish is ready, mislay from oven and let it lay for a few mins to cool. Sprinkle with left over cheese on top. Add fries Top with a inexhaustible dollop of immature cream. Sprinkle cut immature onions and bacon bits.
Clare’s Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 8 ounces of diced mushrooms
- 1 tiny yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ crater Whole Milk or Cream
- ½ crater duck broth
- 1 crater of water
- Salt and Pepper
Add ¼ hang of melted butter to low heat, and let it melt
Add in mushrooms, onions, and garlic and sauté until onions are transparent.
Whisk in flour, adding in tiny batches solemnly until all a glass has been absorbed.
Whisk in cream and gas until churned well. Slowly flow in one crater of H2O and brew well.
Rep. Collin Peterson’s Buck a Party Line Hotdish
- 1 bruise of belligerent venison
- 1 bruise of pig breakfast sausage (mild preferred)
- 1 vast yellow onion, diced
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon burst black pepper
- 10 shredded potato patties, frozen
- 10 unit can of cream of celery soup
- 10 unit can of cream of fungus soup
- ½ crater uninformed sage, chopped
- ¼ crater uninformed thyme, chopped
- 1 garland of uninformed chives, chopped
- 12 ounces of solidified immature beans, French-cut
- 1 crater uninformed asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths and blanched
- ½ crater Gorgonzola crumbles
- 2 ounces amiable Cheddar, shredded
- 2 ounces Gruyere, shredded
- 2 cups corn flakes
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit
2. Grease a hotdish vessel or spit oven vessel regulating a hang of butter. It’s not required to use a whole hang on this step. Line a vessel with a covering of potato patties and place on a tip oven shelve for 15 mins to brownish-red a potatoes.
3. Melt a pad of butter in a expel iron skillet on middle high heat. Add onion and leek afterwards sautée until soft. Place venison and pig in a vessel and use a spatula to pulp a beef as it browns. Season with black peppers to taste.
4. Remove a vessel of browned potato patties from a oven and widespread a beef reduction over them.
5. In another bowl, energetically brew a cream soups, sage, thyme, chives, solidified immature beans, asparagus, and Gorgonzola. Spread uniformly atop a potato and beef layers in a pan. Sprinkle Cheddar and Gruyere over it all.
6. Cover a vessel with aluminum foil and bake during 375°F for 35 minutes.
7. Melt dual tablespoons of butter in a microwave, afterwards flow over a cornflakes. Let stand.
8. Remove foil from a vessel supplement a covering of a butter-soaked corn flakes. Place behind in oven, uncovered, and spin a feverishness adult to 400°F for 25 minutes.
9. Remove from oven. If regulating a spit pan, a image can be refrigerated and afterwards reheated once extrinsic behind into a roaster. Otherwise, let mount for 10 mins before portion to your deerly dear friends and family.
Rep. Tim Walz’s Tariff Tot Hotdish
- 1 lb belligerent pork
- 8 oz pointy white cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups shaved brusselsprouts
- 3 Minnesota honeycrisp apples (medium)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package honeyed potato tots
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and peppers to taste
Cut bacon into one in. pieces and sauté. Drain and set aside. Sauté belligerent pig until only done. Drain, brew with bacon and set aside. Peel and bones apples into ½ in. pieces. Toss Brussel sprouts and apples with olive oil and salt and peppers to taste. Roast @425 degrees for 20-25 mins. Combine with pork. In a saucepan, feverishness butter, afterwards supplement flour whisking until combined. Add half and half and concede to reduce/thicken. Add grated cheddar (reserving some to shower on tip during a end) and drive until smooth. Add nutmeg and salt and peppers to taste. Add to a pig and Brussels/apples and flow into a baking dish. On a apart piece pan, grill honeyed potato tots according to package directions. Add baked tots to tip of hotdish, shower with remaining cheese and put behind in oven until all cheese is melted.
Rep. Betty McCollum’s SPAM Good Hotdish
- 1 12 oz. package of egg noodles
- 2 12 oz. cans Spam
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 crater diced yellow onion
- 1 crater diced immature pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 10.5oz can precipitated cream of fungus soup
- 1 crater light cream
- 4 oz. can diced pimentos
- 1 tsp. salt1 tsp. pepper
- Pinch paprika
- Enough boiled onions to cover
- 2 oz. can diced pimentos
- 1/4 crater chopped uninformed parsley
Cook noodles in a vast stockpot according to a package instructions. While a noodles are cooking, use a skillet to grill a diced spam in olive oil on middle feverishness until comfortable throughout. Drain noodles, lapse to stockpot, and overlay in a warmed Spam. Keep reduction on medium-low heat. In a saucepan, sauté a diced onion and peppers in butter until tender. Fold diced vegetables into a stockpot with a noodles-Spam reduction and keep on low heat. In apart pot, brew cream of fungus soup and cream. Cook until warm. Add warm, total soup to stockpot, stirring good to mix. Add 4 oz. can of pimentos and spices to stockpot and entirely combine. Transfer brew to greased stew dish, tip with boiled onions and a 2 oz. can of pimentos, and bake unclosed during 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Rep. Jason Lewis’ Purple People Wild Meat Eater Hotdish
- 1 ½ crater Surly Darkness Russian Imperial Stout
- Wild Boar
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 carrots
- 2 celery
- 2 cups immature beans
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups Mushrooms
- ½ crater complicated cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- I crater gruyere cheese
- 2 cups flour
- ½ crater butter
- 2 tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 crater buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
Heat a vast Dutch oven, Add olive oil, flare beef on all sides, operative in batches, and mislay from pot. Add in tomato paste, onions, carrots and celery. Add a stout. Reduce feverishness to low, revoke slightly. Add a beef behind to pot. Add beef batch and remaining vegetables. Bring to a simmer, cover and braise in oven until tender.
Place beef into a hotdish dish. Reduce leftover braising glass in Dutch oven and supplement complicated cream.Pour over meat. Sprinkle grated gruyere over hotdish.
For a biscuits, brew cold butter into dry ingredients, supplement buttermilk and brew until only combined. Shape biscuits and place on tip on hotdish. Bake in a 375 oven until browned.