PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH COOKIES, AKA “THE NORA EPHRON”
From The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance.
Makes about 24 sandwich cookies (3 inches in diameter)
• electric Mixer, 1-ounce ice Cream dip (optional though endorsed for a many uniform cookie sandwiches)
peanut butter filling
• 1 1/2 cups (14 ounces/400 grams) tawny peanut butter, such as Skippy
• 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick/3 ounces/168 grams) unsalted butter, softened
• 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
peanut butter cookies
• 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces/227 grams) all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 2/3 cups (5 1/4 ounces/99 grams) rolled oats, such as Quaker old-fashioned
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 crater and 2 tablespoons (2 sticks and 2 tablespoons/11 1/4 ounces/320 grams) unsalted butter, softened
• 1/3 crater (3 1/2 ounces/125 grams) crunchy healthy peanut butter, such as Adams, good mixed
• 3/4 crater (5 1/4 ounces/150 grams) granulated sugar
• 2/3 crater (5 1/4 ounces/150 grams) packaged brownish-red sugar
• 2 vast eggs during room temperature
1. To make a peanut butter filling, brew all a stuffing reduction in a play regulating a whisk. Cover and chill a reduction until we are prepared to fill a cookies.
2. To make a peanut butter cookies, in a bowl, differentiate together a flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir in a oats and salt. Set a dry reduction aside.
3. In a play of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, brew a butter, corpulent peanut butter, and sugars and cream on medium-high speed until really feathery and pale, during slightest 3 minutes, scraping down a blending play as needed.
4. Turn a mixer to medium-low and supplement a eggs, one during a time, violence to incorporate any egg and scraping down a play as needed. Beat in a vanilla extract. Add a dry reduction on low speed in 3 to 4 additions and brew until only combined. Do not overmix. Remove a play from a mixer and scratch down a play with a rubber spatula, going all a approach to a bottom of a play to brew in a dry reduction well.
5. Use an ice cream dip to apportionment all a cookies in 1-ounce scoops (or use about 1 heaping tablespoon per cookie), fixation a scoops on a vellum lined baking sheet. You should have about 48 cookies. (You can place all a cookies tighten together for a chilling step—you will space them for baking later.) Chill a scooped cookies for during slightest 2 hours or longer.
6. When we are prepared to bake a cookies, preheat a oven to 375°F. Arrange 8 cookies, spaced uniformly detached and staggered, on any parchment-lined baking sheet. (Note: Do not squash a cookies; they will squash as they bake.) Set a baking piece inside another baking piece to double vessel and place it in a oven. Bake until uniformly golden, about 12 minutes, rotating a vessel median by a cooking time. If we have 2 double-panned pans in a oven during a same time, also switch them between a racks. Remove a vessel from a oven and cold on a handle shelve for about 10 mins before stealing a cookies with a steel spatula. Allow a cookies to cold totally before stuffing them.
7. To make a cookie sandwich, spin one cookie prosaic side adult and widespread with a small reduction than 2 teaspoons of filling. (If we have a 1-ounce scoop, we can somewhat underfill it to apportionment a stuffing or underfill a tablespoon.) Top with another cookie, prosaic side down, dire gently. Repeat until all a cookies are fabricated into sandwiches.
Evening is your beam to Seattle and a Pacific Northwest. Watch it weeknights during 7:30 on KING-TV Ch. 5 or streaming live on KING5.com. Connect with Evening around Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Email.