MILWAUKEE — Odds are your grandma done them — and your mom. And after this, we competence too! We’re articulate about casseroles with food scholarship consultant Christina Ward.
Campbell’s Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 bruise belligerent beef
- 1 middle onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 can Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups solidified boiled potato nuggets
Cook a beef and onion in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high feverishness until a beef is good browned, stirring to apart meat. Pour off any fat.
Stir a soup, ketchup and Worcestershire in the skillet. Spoon a beef reduction into a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Arrange a potatoes around a inside corner of a baking dish.
Bake during 425°F. for 25 mins or until a potatoes are golden brown.
Shepard’s Pie by Daniel Gritzer during Serious Eats
- Allowing for a choice between meats means home cooks can have this classical any approach they like it; a recipe works no matter what.
- Rinsing a potatoes before and after cooking removes aspect starch, ensuring that a crush doesn’t finish adult gummy.
- Nontraditional ingredients, like red wine, tomato paste, and Parmesan cheese, supplement abyss and complexity.
- Worcestershire and discretionary Marmite are classical British deteriorate bombs, adding delicious abyss to a meat.
- For a Mashed Potatoes:
- 3 1/2 pounds (1.6kg) russet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, cubed
- For a Meat Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) homemadeor store-bought low-sodium duck stock
- 2 packets unflavored gelatin (about 5 teaspoons; 1/2 ounce; 14g)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) unfeeling oil
- 2 1/2 pounds (1kg) belligerent beef or lamb, or some multiple (see note)
- 1 vast yellow onion (about 14 ounces; 400g), diced
- 3 middle carrots (about 8 ounces; 225g), diced
- 2 ribs celery (about 4 ounces; 110g), diced
- 2 middle cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) tomato paste
- 1 crater (240ml) dry red wine
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 brook leaf
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Marmite (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (15g) all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces (225g) solidified peas
- Kosher salt and creatively belligerent black pepper
- To Assemble:
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) complicated cream
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for commanding (optional)
For a Mashed Potatoes: Set cubed potatoes in a colander and rinse underneath cold H2O until H2O runs clear. Transfer to a vast saucepan and cover with cold H2O by during slightest 2 inches. Season H2O with salt until roughly as tainted as a sea. Bring H2O to a boil over high heat, afterwards revoke feverishness to medium-low and prepare until a blade simply pierces potatoes with no resistance, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes in colander, afterwards rinse with prohibited regulating H2O for 30 seconds. Transfer potatoes to a vast bowl.
Using a potato masher, food mill, or ricer, crush potatoes with butter. Press aspect smooth, afterwards press cosmetic hang directly opposite aspect to forestall a skin from forming. Set aside until prepared to assemble.
Meanwhile, for a Meat Sauce: Place batch in a 2-cup glass measuring cup, shower with gelatin, and set aside.
Heat oil in a vast Dutch oven over high feverishness until shimmering. Add half of belligerent beef and cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pot, until good browned, 6 to 8 minutes; use a potato masher or vast drive to mangle adult meat. Add remaining beef and cook, violation adult with masher or whisk, until reduced to tiny bits, about 3 minutes; revoke feverishness as required to forestall scorching. If beef has rendered an extreme volume of fat, use a steel drain to drain many of it out, withdrawal only a few tablespoons in a pot. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pot, until only commencement to alleviate slightly, about 4 minutes.
Add tomato pulp and prepare over middle heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Add red booze and move to a prepare over high heat. Cook, scraping adult any browned bits, until roughly entirely evaporated. Add indifferent duck stock, thyme, brook leaf, Worcestershire, and Marmite, if using. Sprinkle flour over belligerent beef in pot, afterwards stir in. Bring to a simmer, afterwards revoke feverishness to low and prepare until salsa is reduced and thick, about 20 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs and brook leaf. Stir in peas and deteriorate with salt and pepper.
To Assemble and Bake: Adjust oven shelve to core position and preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Before assembling, feverishness cream in a vast saucepan until simmering. Add potatoes and stir kindly until totally incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Potatoes are now prepared for assembly.
Set a 9- by 13-inch baking plate on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Add beef sauce, being clever not to fill some-more than halfway. (You competence not need all of a sauce, depending on a accurate distance of your baking dish.) Top with crushed potatoes, swelling them with a spatula to cover aspect completely. Using spatula, emanate a varicoloured settlement on tip of potatoes. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if using.
Transfer to oven and bake until tip is browned and stew is entirely exhilarated through, about 20 minutes. For deeper browning, place stew on a shelve set about 6 inches underneath a prohibited appliance for a final few moments of cooking. (Monitor closely to forestall potatoes from burning.)
Let mount 15 to 20 mins before serving. Casserole can be assembled, wrapped with plastic, and refrigerated adult to 2 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven for about 35 minutes, afterwards use appliance to brownish-red top.