15-Year-Old Dies of Peanut Allergy After Unknowingly Eating Peanut Butter Chips Ahoy Cookie

A mom is job on Chips Ahoy to repair their wrapping after her 15-year-old daughter died of anaphylactic startle from unknowingly eating a peanut butter cookie.

Kellie Travers-Stafford wrote on Facebook that her daughter, Alexi, was during a friend’s residence on Jun 25 and grabbed a cookie out of an open Chips Ahoy package. Alexi had a severe peanut allergy, though believed that a cookies in red wrapping were fine for her to eat.

“She ate one cookie of chewy Chips Ahoy meditative it was protected since of a ‘red’ packaging, usually to find out too late that there was an combined ingredient…. Reese peanut butter cups/chips,” Kellie wrote.

Alexi Stafford

Alexi went true home after feeling “tingling in her mouth,” Kellie said, though “her condition fast deteriorated.” Kellie pronounced that they attempted giving her dual EpiPens while watchful for a paramedics, though Alexi went into anaphylactic shock, stopped respirating and went unconscious, failing “within one and a half hours of eating a cookie.”

Now, Kellie wants Chips Ahoy to supplement some-more warning labels to their packaging, and to change a colors.

“As a mom who diligently taught her a ropes of what was fine to feast and what was not, we feel mislaid and indignant since she knew her boundary and was wakeful of informed packaging, she knew what ‘safe’ was,” Kellie wrote. “A tiny combined denote on a pulled behind strap on a informed red package wasn’t adequate to call out to her that there was ‘peanut product’ in a cookies before it was too late.”

The wrapping has a same red tone and identical graphics to a unchanging chewy Chips Ahoy version, though it does have a Reese’s trademark on all sides, and a difference “peanut butter cups” along with a striking of a mini peanut butter cup. It also lists peanuts in a mixture list, and calls them out alone as an allergen warning.

Chips Ahoy’s primogenitor company, Mondelēz International, tells PEOPLE that they were “very saddened to hear about this situation,” adding that they schooled of it after Kellie’s Facebook post widespread on amicable media. 

“We take allergies really severely and all of a products are clearly labeled on a information row of a wrapping for a vital food allergens in a U.S. … Across a Chips Ahoy! portfolio, wrapping tone is a evidence for product hardness (i.e., Chewy, Chunky, Original) and is not demonstrative of a participation of allergens. On wrapping for Chips Ahoy! done with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, branding and season are prominently decorated in both difference and visuals on a front and side panels.”

“We always inspire consumers to review a wrapping labeling when purchasing and immoderate any of a products for information about product ingredients, including participation of allergens.”

Kellie pronounced that she wants to advise others of a possible risk to allergy sufferers.

“I wish to share a story with everybody since we wish to widespread awareness,” she said. “The association has opposite colored wrapping to prove chunky, chewy, or unchanging though NO screaming warnings about such a deadly part to many people. Especially children. It’s critical to us to widespread recognition so that this terrible mistake doesn’t occur again.”

More zoo ...

Posted in
Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
short link zookitchen.com/?p=18680.